|Here's what is happening at the Manitowoc County Historical Society, 924 Pinecrest Road in Manitowoc, this month:
Visit the museum: Summer Hours (June 1 through September 30) Open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 am to 4 pm; The McAllister House Welcome Center and the historic structures of Pinecrest Village are open.
- Mid-Lakes Thresheree: September 9 and 10 from 10 am to 4 pm; Feel the ground shake with the roar of antique power, in this program presented in partnership with the Mid-Lakes Rustic Iron Club. There will be timed narrations and demonstrations, ongoing activities for all ages, and hands-on activities to celebrate the fall harvest. General admission.
- 4H and FFA Sunday: September 10 from 10 am to 4 pm; Arrive at the McAllister House Welcome Center dressed in your 4-H or FFA uniform, organization jackets, or group t-shirt and receive free admission. Group leaders are also admitted free. You may arrive at any time during the Mid-Lakes Thresheree experience.
- Exploring Wisconsin History and STEAM (Family Field Trip): September 14 from 10 am to 2 pm; Connect students to history and science through this fun, interactive program. As they rotate through stations, students find out about Wisconsin history related to science, technology, engineering, art and math. Advanced registration is required.
- Dine Fundraiser at A&W Share Night on September 21 from 4 to 8 pm; Indulge in your favorite treat from A&W, whether it’s cheese curds or a root beer float, to support MCHS! Dine with us on Thursday, September 21 between 4 pm and 8 pm and 10% of the proceeds from your order will be donated to MCHS.
- Civil War Remembered: September 23 from 2 pm to 8 pm and September 24 from 11 am to 3 pm; Join us as we step beyond the history books and the battlefield and onto the homefront to connect with the people, stories, and ideas that link Manitowoc County, Wisconsin to America’s greatest conflict – the Civil War. General admission.
- Scout Sunday: September 24 from 11 am to 3 pm; Any youth (18 or under) Scout (Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.) who comes to Civil War Remembered in his or her uniform will be given free admission.
- Registration is open for groups to take part in 2023 - 2024 education programs! There are a variety of immersive field trip options to enhance classroom learning for each grade level. Groups can also register for Civil War School Day on September 22. Details can be found on our website at ManitowocCountyHistory.org/fieldtrips
For more information, visit ManitowocCountyHistory.org or call the museum at (920) 684-4445.